PhoneGap 3.0 Background Location Tracker
Nick Breen and myself were recently contracted to build a cross-platform app as part of an awesome art piece for Ottawa’s upcoming evening art festival: Nuit Blanche. The artist was super awesome and agreed to let us open source the app we were contracted to make, I hope it of use to you.
The App: Tracks a user’s movements, even if the app is in the background, and then sends this data to a server in JSON.
App Core Features
- Run on iOS and Android.
- Track user’s movement and send GPS co-ords to server.
- Run in the background.
- Limit server uploads and GPS checks for max battery life.
- Provide Network, GPS, and Submit status updates.
- Meets iOS ui standards for appstore. (TBD)
Project Specific Features
- Users have a passcode they are given ahead of time to gain access to the app.
- Some passcodes have the privilege of extra features, such as # people in a group.